The 42nd Street outfits are complete! Yay! Here are some pics.
It was really hard to get good pics of the shiny gold fabric. And both dresses look MUCH nicer on the lovely M.
-M was quite short waisted, so I made an adjustment to the bodice of both dresses to accomodate that.
-The Butterick pattern (gold dress) was supposed to be cut on the bias, but since the fabric was a somewhat stretchy knit, I just cut it on grain. I did need to make it a bit smaller as well because of the knit--I probably could have even gone down a size more instead of nipping it in a bit more at the waist as M requested (by then it was too late to change sizes).
-I added bits of elastic to the edges of the gold dress, a la Gorgeous Things to keep it from gaping open at an inopportune time.
-Metallic fabrics suck. Change your needle a lot when sewing them. And press with EXTREME care.
-My fancy shmancy bias attaching foot actually does work, but it takes a lot of practice (and those LOOOOOONG stretches of silver trim on the green dress gave plenty of opportunity to do so)
I really love the Vogue pattern used to make the green dress--so much so I went out and bought a copy in my size. So look for another version of it soon!